Nicholas Paunovich (our father and grandfather) purchased Tower Jewelers in September of 1956. At the time he was working in the optical industry, but had prior training working with watches and precious stones so he decided it would be a lucrative move to sell watches, jewelry, and glasses, thus the name Tower Jewelers and Opticians.
The business opened on 27th and Wells, a block away from the former Tower Movie Theatre. Back then this was a popular local destination just at the edge of downtown. The area included a record store, shoe repair shop, bowling alley, Ben Franklin dime store, upscale men’s clothing boutique, drug store with a lunch counter and soda fountain, doctor and lawyer offices, cafes, and 2 other jewelry stores with many of the businesses incorporating “Tower” into their name.
|1956||Tower Jewelers and Opticians opens it’s doors for business.|
|Late 1960’s||Nick decides to discontinue sale of jewelry and watches, hire an optometrist and go with his primary interest, Optical.|
|1983||Nick passes away and his children, Jay and Brit take over the business with the help and blessings of their mother, Martha.|
|1992||A second location opens on 101st and Capitol Drive featuring higher end fashion eyewear.|
|1996 & 1998||We close both the Capitol Drive and 27th Street locations and open at 6012 W. North Avenue in Wauwatosa.|
|2000- Present||Third generation is interested in optical and gradually train and become integral part of business.|
|2009||Business moves to current location at 2130 N. Mayfair Road, larger and more convenient with easy freeway access and only 1 and a half blocks from Mayfair Mall.|
Since 1956, Tower Optical has been bringing Milwaukee the best in designer and luxury eyewear and sun wear. We have always used quality lenses that feature the latest technology. We also offer just about every brand of contact lenses available. Tower may be old, but we guaranty you will not find a more fashionable eyewear and sunwear store anywhere in the Midwest! There are several reasons why Tower Optical has stood the test of time…
1. We have an excitement and passion for what we do, so you will feel comfortable and confident in knowing our staff is knowledgeable in all phases of your purchase. You will never leave our office disappointed with your Tower Optical experience.
2. Our loyal customers are the foundation of who we are. Listening and talking with you, striving to constantly improve service, and bringing the best in the cutting edge product you want and deserve is extremely important to us. We absolutely do care about what you have to say! We understand that we wouldn’t still be here for over 59 years without all of you!
3. Every frame in our gallery is individually chosen by style, color, and size. Yes, every frame! We track fashion trends not only in eyewear, but we also study clothing and accessory trends in the U.S. and abroad. This enables us to bring you the very best eyewear and sunwear styles available, styles that are in-sync with what’s trending in the rest of the fashion industry! Over the years we have developed close relationships with vendors and designers from all over the world.
4. Reinventing and adjusting to industry and economic changes has been a challenge we have always embraced. Our opticians are continually learning about current eyewear fashion trends, new lens and frame technologies, and the latest advancements in contact lenses. We continually have cooperative staff dialog about the needs and wants of our customers.
5. Everyone who enters our doors is treated with dignity and respect. All receive a one-on-one consultation and expert advice from our experienced opticians and stylists who assist you through the entire process of creating your own “signature look!!” While our specialty is designer and luxury eyewear, we do carry product to fit every budget.
We care about people in our community and beyond. After all, it is “people” who have supported us through our many years in business, and for that we are forever grateful.
Our Local Community…
- Involved with House of Love (HOL provides housing and a Christian environment for teen girls in the foster care system).
- Provide glasses to those in homeless shelters.
- Donate product and gift cards to various school and church auctions in the Milwaukee area.
- Have donated reading glasses for adult literacy programs.
- Have collected various personal care items needed for local homeless shelters.
- In January 2013, two members of our staff joined the Lake Country Rotary Club and took a mission trip to Haiti. Together, we examined over 2000 people’s eyes and distributed glasses to all who needed them.
- Donated teacher’s salaries for School of Galilee in Haiti since 2013.
- We collect customers old, gently worn eyeglasses every day of the year, and since 2010 the eyeglasses we collected were donated to a group from Lake Country Rotary Club. This group examine eyes and distributes eyeglasses during their annual mission trip to Haiti.
- In 2006 donated a home to the Marriott family in Jamaica through “Food for the Poor.”
- Sponsor a yearly Christmas Party for Deaf Children.
- Sponsored a summer VBS program for School of Galilee in Haiti in 2015.
“I have been a LOYAL customer to Tower Optical since the mid 1970’s. Their service is and has always been exemplary! The staff is professional and helpful. It’s always a lot of fun working with them to find the most unique frames that START TRENDS and more importantly, FIT MY PERSONALITY! Tower Optical is certainly the BEST EYEWEAR STORE in town!”
—Diana, Milwaukee Public Schools
“We have purchased eyewear from Tower Optical for over 15 years. The frame selection is fantastic and the customer service is unbeatable.”
—George and Kathy, Germantown
“I simply would like to take a moment to say ‘Thank you so much’ for the great and outstanding service that I have always received at your optical and especially at my recent visit. The staff is very friendly, professional, competent, and always willing to go above and beyond to help customers. In addition, the selection of designer eyewear is like no other place. I have been coming to your optical for over 5 years and will continue to do so!
P.S. The location on Mayfair Road looks awesome and I truly love the way that my glasses look!!!”
—Ramon, Milwaukee – “a customer for life”
Tower Optical Mission Statement
We will always strive to provide each patient with the best possible vision, fashion eyewear, and contact lenses at the best possible prices. We will do all we can to satisfy our customers and develop continuing relationships with them. We will treat them with respect and demonstrate genuine concern regarding their visual needs.
Through the years Tower has grown dramatically, due to the fact we have always adjusted to the winds of industry and economic changes, we always have listened to our customers, and we have worked together. We now have 3rd generation opticians and staff. We continually educate our entire staff with updates of new lens technologies and fashion enabling us to bring you the most incredible eyewear available.
We have two opticians with decades of experience, an optician with over 10 years of experience and a marketing degree, and another optician with over 7 years of experience.
As you see, we have very solid roots in Milwaukee, and we have many, many loyal customers that continue to purchase from us long after they have moved across town or even out of state. Our current location is nearly 3000 square feet and offers undeniably the most diverse collection of designer, luxury, and budget eyewear and sunwear (prescription and non-prescription) in the state.
Don’t just believe what you hear, believe what you see. Browse through the rest of our website and get a preview of the designer and luxury eyewear, sunwear and contact lenses we carry. You make the decision. Better yet, we welcome you to stop in. You’ll find our staff very friendly, competent, and willing to bend over backwards twice to offer you the best service possible and answer all of your questions.